Friday, October 24, 2008

sniff sniff knead knead

I had intended to make a quick post then go to bed but rather I'm making a post from bed. Also I'm being glared at by Big Cat since my typing has interrupted his kneading of the afghan I knitted years ago. Both cats seems to enjoy it (though Little Cat is more interested in loudly sniffing things at the moment) so much so that I'm thinking to try some sort of cat bed. I do have some wool blend in the stash.

I've frogged the prior idea for the baby blanket for M & S. It was a decent attempt but baby fine yarn on size 4 needles was problems just awaiting to arise. I decided finding an actual pattern, though the idea I had before I do want to plot out since it'd be quite cool once it took ages to make. So I found this one - Hoodie Baby Blanket and picked up the yarn used as per the site, Lion Brand Cotton-Ease.

I've not used that yarn. The only cotton based yarn I have is the Sugar and Cream cones that will eventually be a summer blanket for when the air is too high in the house. I just haven't decided on a pattern. I digress. I'm quite happy w the yarn choice. I had forgotten the difference between straight acrylic and other yarns. I forsee myself buying this for other projects. There is a sage-ey green that would look nice for a February Lady sweater though I forsee that being a more pumpkin color in my head.

I also stuck w the circulars and got them working. I do not know where I went wrong w circulars in the past. Maybe I was too green to the whole knitting thing and just stuck w that? Nevertheless, they are working well and are much easier on public transportation esp when somewhat crowded (bus more so than el) as was the case today. People are still sticking w public transportation in larger numbers as was the case more recently w the crazy gas prices. Over $4 a gallon is never fun though I had orginally traveled via such. It finally went under $3 today ($2.99 but still) as I noticed making the little kid "ooooh look at that" face.

While gas is under $3, The Husband and I realized that approximately with tax a milkshake at Oberweis would be about $5... each... for a non-specified size. We ended up not getting them which is in a way a good thing since I'm sitting here in a robe w a comforter, the earlier mentioned afghan, and a wool indian blanket from AZ. I'm starting the cold weather transition as well as learning that turning on two space heaters, no matter that the smaller one is tehnically smaller than the other, will leave you standing in the dark. Yep, I blew a fuse. Not a big deal but enough to laugh about it as I called downstairs for him to reset it.

Totally by chance, Nixmusic, The BFF and I came across a local knitting group that actually meets locally. I say it as such bc there is another group that seems quite cool but w inconsistant bus timing esp w holiday traffic approaching is somewhat not do-able. It was quite fun esp with other patrons looking over to see what was going on. I forsee us going back. There is something quite nice about being able to talk yarn or about how you didn't make it to Rhinebeck but would love to someday or the local signing by the Yarn Harlot and the typhoon during the first scheduled appearance.

No comments: