Sunday, April 12, 2009

Frogging a Cosby sweater... well not quite

I have had only one experience frogging a premade sweater. It was royal blue cotton that ended up not working well. That ended up being a good thing once I realized that a good portion of it was stained and so would be the yarn.

I'm not discourage and now, esp w the thought of buying wool yarn right now is not practical - stupid state of the ecomony causing tons of layoffs incl hitting the MBMY household. A and I had a girls' day out and went thrifting on Saturday which is always fun though having a plan is even better than finding the late 80s/early 90s fushia prom dress by chance. I ended up finding some nice wool or wool blend sweaters with the most expensive being $2. (It would probably be a good 3x that for just one skein. I haven't gotten too too too into buying merino but from what I've heard it's not cheap.) They all look like the seams will come apart pretty easily esp since one is already. The black one has flat black buttons coming up the sleeves a good 4 inches from the wrists that are in good condition as well.

If this all goes well then I will be adding a yarn counter to the ball winder on my knitting related wish list.

Overall it's a good thing, recycling, reusing, economical. Plus I want to do before/after pix of what it was and what it become. Also then I can make some wacky stuff like felted cat beds - though I think they will still velcro themselves to my large afghan. I swear they get mad when I want to use it sometimes.

I'm thinking of starting up the 365 again, or rather restart. With the winter funk leading to the plague of a cold that I had and took forever to get rid of, the stress of the layoff and everything else, the thought of taking a picture of myself daily didn't seem that important. Plus the dark circles under my eyes were not what I had wanted to remember and document. I have some ideas for photos to add and an idea or two for a clones shot which I always enjoy seeing people do.

I didn't get a chance to really start talking to anyone in the group which I regret. I know it was just a short time that I posted in it but some of the people in it look really interesting and their work is just plain amazing. I find it inspirational when I see other peoples art/handiwork etc.

No comments: