Wednesday, April 22, 2009

One thing that is consistent is that I am not consistent

I had noticed last week's Ten for Tuesday '10 Signs that You're Getting Older' and it is somewhat fitting lately.

1. Things/events are dated in years more than 5 - Kurt Cobain has been gone 15 years. My So-Called Life first aired 15 years ago. NIN's Pretty Hate Machine will be 20 yrs old this year. It's slightly unnerving at times with that wait waaaaaaaht? element that kicks in.

2. My unoffical kid brother - the BF's kid brother - is no longer a munchkin. While I know he isn't the same little kid who would kick open closet doors to chuck shoes at our heads or whine til he got a nap and hasn't been for a long time but still.

3. Sliders is all on instant play on Netflix as well as other 90s television. A win win situation since I haven't seen stuff in ages.

4. Cartoons like Captain N: The Game Master is much more cheesy than I remember.

5. The Karate Kid is no longer the cool older kid. He's a kid w a headband stuck painting a fence.

6. 80's is considered retro. THIS will take a long time to get used to and I don't even want to think of when it's the new oldies. Can you really ever think of bands like Wham! as oldies???

7. 80's fashion is a been there, done that, and will be selective in what to bring back in my attire. Living through the neon spandex age once was scary enough.

8. The word reunion isn't just a word but a fact. It's coming this summer.

9. I am part of the unlabled wives/future wives club in my circle of friends. While I know people who married straight out of high school none of us were part of that.

10. Boys are willing to give up a seat on the L out of respect rather than as a way to hit on you. The "ma'am" added totally gave that away not that I'm looking for someone to hit on my on public transportation.


Speaking of public transportation, it seems like there has been a lull in the crazy instances of smushing each other in a car. If you really think of it, the entire thing can be quite terrifying. You are stuffed with a bunch of strangers in a giant metal can with doors that they specifically say not to lean up against so you don't/possibly don't fall out being shot down a metal track that often causes sparks to fall to the street below. It sounds like something out of a B-horror movie if you take it out of context. Taking it, though, as long as I can remember takes the EEEEEK out of it somewhat. When the thing stops though on a sliggggggggght angle that is still unnerving.

I have finished frogging the portion of the blanket now where the dropped stitch was located. I'm just really glad I found it before I got to the end of the skein. It took some time to go back to where I needed to be to fix it. Part of that was spent watching...err talking through is a better phrasing, The Crow: Wicked Prayer aka Crow 4 aka are you serious with this dialogue??? with Nixmusic.

She is making those things that you put on your feet. Those things that you make with the needles with TWO pointy ends. SOCKS. I think socks are like the popcorn someone makes in an office. You smell it, in this case see it and you want it. I'm seriously needing to keep my hands off any sock patterns since I have this WIP to finish + two scaves on cue. Finding my stitch counter will help with that.

I never realized how much of an impact a little plastic barrel going missing can have on the knitting psyche. it totally cuts down knitting time since it's less time consuming than stopping to make a hatch mark on a piece of paper/subscription insert from a magazine/cover of a magazine.

While I do intend to start up the 365 again, I've decided to wait a bit longer til the house is more in order in terms of to-do projects and whatnot. Taking a picture only to discover it's ruined by the giant pile of crap/boxes/etc is not fun. I know getting it in gear is something I need to do. I just am not one for being all gung-ho in organizing stuff that I don't know if I should keep or donate. L is having a garage sale this summer so I know that will be motivation as well.

I just finished Mayhem in High Heels by Gemma Halliday. It was really cute. There are a few others in the High Heels series before this one and I am planning to read those as well. I was never the big myserty person but lately I've found myself reading more of them. Perhaps it's the mesh of a more chick lit humorous style in some of the more contemporary ones. Nonetheless, it helps pass the time on public transportation when my eyes are either too tired to knit or I don't have enough room to comfortably do so without doing my bad interpretation of the Chicken Dance.

Speaking of which I HATE the Chicken Dance. Yuck!

No comments: