Tuesday, June 9, 2009

New blooms yet seriously, where is summer?


New blooms
Originally uploaded by mustbuymoreyarn
The garden is thinking it is summertime and so is the calendar with it saying "June" and all but I think it is confused. I ended up wearing my legwarmers, which were actually one of the first things I ever knitted, home today. EEP! I'm seriously thinking of making another set in a more springish color. I do have the multiple skiens of pink from Big R's mom's basement.

The last few days have been quite the whirlwind. I know there was a weekend but it went by so quickly. Friday was M's birthday at the irish pub that smelled like varnish or wood glue or something. It was a nice place but every now and then I couldn't help but stop and think of how odd of a smell there was inside.

Saturday was my super day of running amuck. After living my entire life in the Chicagoland area, I finally made it to Printers Row Book Fair. I had planned in the past but for one reason or another never quite made it. This year there were two authors that were speaking that I had hoped to see, and go all fangirl babbly mode -- Jen Lancaster who was speaking at 11 am and Neil Gaiman who was speaking at noon. I later read that the tickets were sold out and was not happy one bit til I realized it was Neil Gaiman since he was inside the Library. Phew. If it was both I'd not bothered going downtown. I still had quite the adventure.

I deliberately left extra time to get downtown figging it was a book fair and all and I'd browse a bit. I brought Pretty in Plaid with me, since it was a speak/sign event, with the last bit to read on the el/waiting for her to speak. I get on the train at Midway after waiting for the doors to open for awhile (first sign something was odd - Saturday or not that was a bit of a wait) and we just sit there. I read, check the time on my phone and not too long passes until we're on our way. Then a bit later the train stops and we find out that they are doing railwork and we wait and we wait. I try not to get livid since I had been looking foward to this and wasn't sure how long the speaking engagements last. If I get there and everthing is done, I was going to be in a foul mood for the rest of the day and having M's bachelorette party that evening, I really didn't want to be in such a state.

After what seems like ages, I get to my el stop, jet off the train and manage to get past the adorable little munchkin and her mom that were using up 90% of the staircase as they walked ahead of me. I'm literally running down the street to the corner, realize I shouldn't be running since I looked a bit kooky, was out of breath (and seriously needing to get back on the fitness routine,) and if I missed it there was nothing I could do.

After all the grr-ing and channeling parts in Jen Lancaster's writing about the wacky el people/bus people, I get to the tent. I did miss part of her time at the mic but the time I managed was funny. She is as witty in person as in her books. I was able to have my book signed and she was kind enough to take a picture. (I'm sooo grinning like a goofball.)


Since I was in the area I took a trip to Loopy Yarns to browse (which included getting a cute grey felted sheep notions pouch that will work very well) since when in a super hyper mood why NOT add to it and go to a LYS that makes total sense. Ysolda Teague was there with her book and samples. Nixmusic and I had planned to go to Nana's on Tuesday and so I didn't get the book then and there but chatted a bit and took a picture together.
Loopy Yarns meeting
Originally uploaded by mustbuymoreyarn

Since it being Tuesday and all, we went to Nana's, bought her book and had them signed. I also got some input from her on a particular yarn and Ishbel. (A swatch to see if it will work will be the deciding factor.) Nixmusic is already debating which colors for Cairn.

Now it's time to unwind with some Gossip Girl (the things you "find" on "regular" TV after getting rid of the cable TV that you rarely watched.) and S's blanket. Well try to unwind since Cosmo has now figured out how to unlock the baby gate that keeps them both in "dogland" as we call the family room. So far a twist tie is keeping him stuck but who knows for how long.



Note: my photo's aren't formatting right so I will need to go back to this later.

No comments: